Monday, October 6, 2008

From One Roof to Another

When I arrived, the first thing I needed to do was to move the 308 back from the pit to its berth in Barn 8 (see previous post). Frank Sirinek rode along on the brief trip and helped with the doors and so forth. The brakes work well, that I can verify!

Then I started painting some of the window frames with the new maroon paint I had matched. It looks very good. The picture really doesn't do it justice. I also put a coat of varnish on the insides of a couple of others.

And I started working on the roof of the 277. I finally got the cables running to the pole disconnected; they were attached with "quick disconnects" covered with several layers of petrified electrical tape, so it wasn't so quick. I also tried to disconnect the fuse box, so far without success. It was about ready to collapse anyhow, so removing it in one piece may be a challenge. I also noticed it's equipped with six 700 amp fuses for a grand total of 4,200 amps, so it wasn't doing us much good to begin with. Who thought that was a good idea? (If you need trolley power for lights or whatever on the 277, it's still available via the 518.) And I started loosening some bolts, etc.

And the contractor was working on Barn 11 - about half the roof is now in place. I'm sure they will make faster progress than I will!

No comments: