Saturday, October 11, 2008

Disassembling the 277

Today I started removing parts from the roof of the 277 in earnest. The trolley pole was removed, although it took longer than I had expected. I also disconnected the fuse box and moved it out of the way. Here are a couple of pictures of the roof after the trolley pole was removed. With the warm weather and cloudless sky, it was hot up there, so I didn't spend as much time on top of the 277 as I had planned.

David was on the property and helped with this work. Tomorrow (Sunday) he and several others are going up to East Troy, so watch this space for a trip report. Frank is in Pittsburgh this weekend on business.

My friend Ray Buhrmaster was visiting and rode the 65. He has always been a fan of the (original) Hicks Locomotive and Car Works, and told me about the work they're doing on car 64 at North Freedom. They have had a complete set of reproduction upper stained glass windows made for this car at a reasonable price. The floor was soaked when the museum was flooded last August, but one of the first things they did was to disassemble it and remove the waterlogged sawdust which had been inserted inside the floor as insulation. The project has been set back somewhat, but restoration will continue. That's good news!

I put a second coat of maroon on two 518 windows, a first coat on two more, and a final coat of exterior varnish on one, which should be ready to install next time.

And as I expected, the contractors are making good progress on Barn 11.

No comments: