Wednesday, February 10, 2010

319 Report

Come earthquake, come pestilence or flood, we will not be dismayed. Well, maybe a little. I admit I was worried after the earthquake this morning at 4AM when I heard that it was centered near Virgil, which isn't far from Union. But nothing seems to have been damaged, so all is well.

I was eager to try out the locking device that Mike Alterio made for us. The prototype I gave him was made with thin plywood, so it was perhaps a little too loose. Mike's first block wouldn't fit onto the 319, but with some trimming it works fine on the 36, which has a thinner flap sticking out under the door. Here it is in place on that car. This replaces locking the car with a chain on one of the train doors, which is difficult to get at. And would really annoy our regular motormen!

The CA&E wood cars didn't have locking mechanisms of any sort, and I wanted to avoid having to modify our new cars if possible. (The 308 and 309 each have one door modified to take a North Shore coach key.) Here's a view of my locking device without the door in place; it's based on a standard latch from the hardware store. This might give you a better idea of how it works. (Patent pending) And by the way, thanks again, Mike!

I finished installing the brake rigging on the 319, and did some more sanding. Also looked at floor paint and miscellaneous things.

Frank did a great job putting primer on the drop sash, so I decided to put it back on the car to close it up. We do not yet have the correct red. I also took another side window to the car shop and started stripping it, but the orange latex paint is hard to remove.

In other news, the 409 is now in Barn 8 on 83, so 3/4 of our CA&E collection is there. That probably won't last long. The 319 should be going over to Barn 2 once the 749 comes out, so we'll have the luxury of a heated shop to work in!

Bob Kutella had a doctor's appointment today, but several of the other Wednesday crowd were out: Gerry, Charlie, Henry, Pete, John, and Mike Alterio in the signal shop. Henry is working on windows for the 409, as well as the 757.

7 comments:

David Wilkins said...

For those of you contemplating copying Randy's idea for the door locking device (patent pending), remember that the Legal Department of the Hicks Car Works is watching you very closely...

Anonymous said...

Would that hasp cause a tripping hazard to someone exiting the car at 50th Ave? Good idea in general... I wonder if other methods are in use at Fox River etc.

Joe said...

I don't want to reverse engineer Randy's project here, and infringe on any patents. I suspect that nothing is permanently mounted to the car. The lip on the bottom of the steel plate fits down over the trap edge, and the wood block prevents the door from being opened inward. It looks like a really neat idea, and I look forward to seeing how it works in person.

Randall Hicks said...

Joe is correct, of course. There are two parts plus the padlock that have to be removed and stored somewhere, that's the only drawback.

I don't know what's in use at FRTM, I haven't tried to break into any of their cars. :) But all of the CA&E cars are stored in a barn not open to the public.

Ben Rohling said...

I have a milk carton in front of me, and on it is a picture of S.H.R.T. (shaker heights) car number 12. Last I knew it was still residing at the Cleveland RTA, possibly at the E. 55th street shops and was sporting a Breda car style pantograph. The last pictures of this car I saw are a good 20 years old by now. During the rescue of the museum's new acquisitions from GCRTA did anyone happen to see or photograph this elusive creature? This has been eating at my curiosity since the Cleveland Trolleyfest I attended around 1996. Any known sightings?

Scott Greig said...

An early story I was told was that Cleveland Interurban car 18 (aka 1218, I think) might see fantrip service back-to-back with the 12.

Don't know if that was true or if it will ever happen, but it would be supremely cool to see. Might even warrant another trip to Cleveland!

Still wish we had gotten one of those cars....

Randall Hicks said...

Well, now you're changing the subject, Ben. I don't think I can put a picture into the comment, so I'll post it separately.