Thursday, February 18, 2010

News from Wheaton Shops

Did you realize we now have a third of the entire world's supply of CA&E cars sitting in Barn 8? That means there's lots to do!

Yesterday I sanded down the sides of the 319 some more; I finished the north side below the belt rail, and then did the east end, including melting off the decal. I then dragged the platform around to the end so I could do the top, as seen at left. I also installed the trim piece over the new siding, as seen at right. I checked on installing the rope guard over the canvas at this end; it should work fine, but I need different screws. I'll also need some more hands.

And I went over to Barn 2 to view progress on the 451.


Meanwhile there was the usual Wednesday crowd at work, on such projects as the 972 and the Com Ed 4.

Henry and Roger S. were helping Max install conduit for the electrical service to the new shop extension.




Finally, since it seemed to be getting colder in the barn, it was time to retreat to the shop and do some painting. We just received a can of paint matched to the interior walls of the 319, so I painted three side windows and a window shade track with the new color. It looks a lot like butterscotch pudding -- mmmmm!


(Photo by Bob Kutella)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what is the progress on the 451?

Kirk Warner said...

How much oof the interior of the 319 requires paint? Is it just the windows?

Randall Hicks said...

I would like to repaint it completely at some time, although it's serviceable as is, I suppose. Just a little tired. For now the windows are the main focus.

Anonymous said...

Does the 460 need to repainted ?

When are the 460 and 451 going to run as a train?

Are the 2 cars going to be painted and lettered as they were recieved by the CA&E from St Louis Car in 1945?

Randall Hicks said...

I'm hoping somebody closer to the work on the steel cars will help answer this. Anyhow, the 460 currently has the best paint job, so I believe it will be done last.

Charlie Strong said...

The 460 will be the last to get painted and needs a new roof just like 451. The plan right now is to paint 451, 319, 409, and then 460 all four being paint red and gray.

The 451 will be backdated to about 1946 this will be as close to as delivered but will have a black roof and some other very small details changed in the first few months. 460 will be in the last years paint and details.

Charlie

Anonymous said...

wow that's a lot of red and gray. Makes me wish the 431 was in the blue scheme. (ducks and covers)