Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Trip Report-Frozen North Edition-National Railroad Museum, Green Bay, Wisconsin

So what kind of person would go to a railroad museum, with many outside displays on a day where the high temperature was 5 degrees? I did! I did it for our loyal readers. Business recently took me to Green Bay, Wisconsin. Having a free few hours in the afternoon, I headed to the National Railroad Museum.

Fortunately for me, the museum has constructed a heated display building, which contained a number of exhibits, including the British Railways Class A4 4-6-2 Dwight D. Eisenhower, the Union Pacific Big Boy, a GG1, and other exhibits. Seeing the A4 was a very neat expierence as Frank and I constantly debate which pre-nationalization British Railway had better looking steam locomotives, the LNER or the Great Western.

The indoor display area also includes a nicely restored 10-1-2 heavyweight Pullman, and a well-done exhibit on Pullman porters.










After viewing the indoor exhibits, I bundled up, and headed outside to view the exhibits in the large open building. I probably made a record fast tour of the building and its exhibits.









If you are in Green Bay, I recommend a trip to NRM. However, I would also suggest you visit at a warmer time of the year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,

Can you go into the blog and make it so all of your photos are expandable? Only the first photo of the A4 has this feature. Good report though!

Thank you,

John Csoka
IRM Western Division

David Wilkins said...

John,

I'll have to consult with Randy on what causes this. It may be the browser I use when I'm on the road and make these posts.

David

Randall Hicks said...

OK, David, what browser are you using? This doesn't happen to me, using Firefox here at home. I can see that there are some differences in the html but I don't know if there's an easy way to fix that.

I'd noticed this problem before, actually. And of course we want to keep our customers happy, so I suppose we could offer to extend John's subscription to Hicks Car Works for another six months for FREE. With the present economy, that's the best we can do.

Frank Hicks said...

It's hard to beat the sight of a Castle class 4-6-0 storming up a bank with a rake of brown and cream Pullmans.

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=244311

You have to admire any railroad that fielded a fleet of "teak stock" though!

David Wilkins said...

@Frank: The two cars behind the A4 appear to have come from the LNER. They were painted in a dark green with "NE" region numbers, but were clearly wood construction. Nothing quite like seeing a powder blue A4 with a rake of teak coaches!

@Randall: I'm using Apple's Safari. When I travel, I take a MacBook with me, mainly because it is light. I've installed Opera, a better browser, and I'll try it in the future. Just take the cost of John's extended subscription from my paycheck!

Zach said...

I gotta agree with Frank, GWR all the way! I love them little 14xx 0-4-2's