Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Last Session This Year

Today was mostly painting the ceiling in the 319's smoker. I don't like to work from a stepladder for very long, so I set up a platform as shown here. It consists of two plastic sawhorses and a large board (part of a computer desk we scrapped several years ago). I did the surface prep and filled a large number of cracks on the ceiling part of the bulkhead, then painted it with a first finish coat.

I then started working back into the compartment. The smoker gets crowded in a hurry when you start to set up work facilities. I had a larger platform for working on the 309's ceiling, but in that case I had removed all of the seat backs so there was more space available.

I thought I took a picture of the newly repainted bulkhead, but it vanished into the ether. Here's a repainted alcove.




Then there was one corner seat frame that still needed to be sanded down and repainted. It got a coat of white primer.

I even had some visitors today. Jim Nauer was undecorating the L cars on track 83 that had been used for the Santa train, so he stopped in. Later so did Greg Ceurvorst. The more the merrier!


Before and after painting there was also the exciting task of stripping paint from the ceiling of the #1 vestibule. It's going along pretty well, and does a good job of enhancing the muscular development of one's arms. You should try it sometime -- here, have a putty knife!

No comments: