Thursday, January 13, 2011

IT Progress

Ed Oslowski started working on the IT 277 today. He brought out tools and supplies, and started by cleaning up the baggage/smoker compartment. He plans to start sanding down the ceiling and parts of the walls in preparation for repainting. We want to do what we can to prepare the car for the IT traction meet on April 30th. So this should be a big help. The car is currently sitting over the pit, and other department people will be working on the electrical and mechanical issues.

Ed seems to be more concerned with neatness than the slob who was working here previously.


Speaking of which, I spent most of the day doing woodworking in the shop. I finished making the four corner pieces for the 319 tack molding, as seen here. The upper edge will be rasped to shape once the corners are installed on the car. The lower edges need a 1/2" round over, but I decided the best way to do that will be with my hand router at home.

These saddles are very historic -- I made them back in 1976. We needed new saddles for the 309, and Bob Bruneau suggested I buy enough wood and make a set for the 321 as well, since I would want them eventually. I made 16 for the 309, and another four for the 321 before stopping. And for the next 35 years they remained in storage. Soon, however, I may be able to use them on the 319. I dug them out today and started cutting the rest of the blanks. I still have two more to complete, and then they can be drilled and painted.


And Frank Sirinek showed us some of the wooden seats in the Veracruz open car he has been refinishing. They look great! Of course, the lighting here isn't the best, so you'll have to take my word for it. These may look like they're painted red, but they're actually stained and varnished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Randy, we have three routers in the woodshop, and while you may be used to using one in the ROUTER TABLE, any of them can be used hand held.

Bob Kutella