Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dave's Depots - Illinois Terminal Depot/Substation - Hamel, Illinois


This is an ongoing series of posts by Hicks Car Works contributor David Wilkins, as he roams the country on business travel, and shares his finds with us.
A couple of weeks ago, when I had to go up to Peoria, I found that I-55 was backed up due to some serious road construction. I decided to "Get my Kicks" by taking old Route 66 as far as Springfield. I did not see Martin Milner or George Maharis though. From Edwardsville north, old Route 66 follows the old Illinois Terminal traction line to just past Hamel. There, the IT splits off in a northeasterly direction, as I took an older alignment of Route 66 to Springfield.

Right in the middle of downtown Hamel sits this depot/substation combination. It is currently used as a tanning salon. I believe the IT literally ran down the middle of the street in Hamel. The building is in good shape.

No comments: