Saturday, July 9, 2011

Here and There

As mentioned earlier, Bob Kutella and Rich Witt have agreed to start working on refinishing windows for CA&E #36 as a background activity. The first one has been sanded down nicely. I provided some white primer, and I will order the epoxy we need to fill a few checks and cracks in the wood. Tim Peters helped with expert advice on what to order. I brought over three more windows for them to work on, and then got three replacements from storage to fill up the spaces on the car. I also did some sorting of parts, and took them over to the container. I talked to Rod about replacing a leaking valve on the 319. And the first recovered seat cushion was installed in the 308.

Then I went over to the 321 to check on the tarp, which needs to be done on a regular basis. Everything's fine. But here, we see the motor fuse box, which was held up by lag screws that have fallen out of the rotten floor. A robin decided this was a good place to build a nest, since it's pretty well protected from the weather. And the nest is decorated with loose strands from nearby tarps! After taking this picture, I lifted the tarp to look inside, and there was a baby robin working its way out of the egg. I decided it was best to move away and let Mommy get back to her work.



And meanwhile, the farmer was busy making hay over on the south 40. So there's our nature notes for today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randall,
I s, glad to see you haven't been sitting down on the job; but now you can in the future!

I read about a fairly new railroad station museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky called Railpark, it includes the L&N station and several cars on display. You might enjoy giving us a report of that one some time when you are down in your old stamping grounds.

Ted Miles

David Wilkins said...

Ted,

Once again, you've confused Randall for me, David. I'm the attorney also. I am the one who went to school down in Bowling Green.

In fact Ted, the museum isn't quite so new. They acquired the cars in 2002, right before I graduated from undergrad at Western Kentucky University. In November 2009 I was invisted to speak at the depot, my review of the facilities is here:

http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2009/11/trip-reportsdave.html