Thursday, June 7, 2012

Something Old, Something New

Now for something only slightly different: In the morning I was asked to help Rod with a switch move. Our main task was to get a dump car off the interchange track, since the UP Heritage units were due to arrive at any time. So as my patriotic duty I said yes.

It turned out to be harder than expected. Surprise! The hand brake was set tighter than tight, and the release mechanism was bent and almost unusable, so for a while we pounded, cursed, tried dragging the confounded thing, but finally we were able to release the brakes and start moving again.

Meanwhile, of course, revenue passenger service had started. Here's a nice picture of interurban railroading, I think: the local car is passing our freight train which has just come off the interchange track. I think the 415 must have put in more miles in passenger service at IRM than everything else combined.

For the rest of the day, Al Reinschmidt and I continued to work on the 36, with stripping, sanding, and painting.


Division of labor: Al is painting with brown primer, I'm doing white. By the end of the day, we found that we had completed the second coat of brown on the lower siding and the first coat of white along the windows. I just can't wait to start applying finish colors!





This Saturday will be UP Employee Family Day, and we're expecting a big crowd. So this huge tent is set up near the entrance. And that's why the UP Heritage units will be here. I guess I will have to pretend I never heard of the CB&Q for a day. Or something.



On a hot day like this it's hard not to think about air conditioning. The Car Department's youth hostel on wheels has AC, but it seems to need some support. This is possible only because the wheels don't turn very often!

No comments: