Thursday, October 3, 2013

Don't Look!

That's always great advice -- don't look!  Don't think about germs!  Don't ask what I've been doing!  Don't take pictures of a huge train wreck right outside!  Actually, I did snap one while nobody was looking, but you can't see it.  So there!

As Al has pointed out, there's lots of activity at IRM getting ready for shooting a TV drama about Chicago firemen responding to a disastrous commuter train derailment, as I take it.  And this is a big boost for the Museum in many ways, so our policy at HCW is to play along.  We'll let you know when the episode filmed at IRM will be shown.

 So instead all I have to show you is boring pictures of roof work.  Sorry.  In the morning I went through Crystal Lake to pick up the black paint recommended by Rod Turner.  The upper tack molding is attached to a long rail attached to the ends of the carlines, which are shown here.  The ends of the carlines are tenonned, and fit into a dado in the rail.  But this is a weak spot in the whole design: nails are driven into the carlines from above and below, and then screws are driven into the ends, so in almost any railroad roof the carlines have split, as seen here.

Apart from rebuilding the entire roof, the best solution is to make sisters, to which the new rail can be attached (when it's made).  I made a pile of them at home earlier this week.  They are glued in place, and then the top boards are nailed into them.

The structure overall is in pretty good shape, so I believe only every other carline has to be sistered.  Another problem is that the soffit needs to be reattached in many places, as it tends to fall down and away from the carlines.  That's not good either.  So I'm working on that.
Another thing that needs to be done is to raise the copper flashing at the top of the lower canvas, so new canvas can be put under it.  This is a time-consuming job, but it's going pretty well.  And it's just about where I started in earnest on the 309 back in 1976.

And I should point out that Tim stopped by to check out the 319, and helped me raise the platform to a more convenient height.  On the whole, the 319 appears to be in better condition than any of the L cars he's had to reroof.

Yesterday Al painted all of the lower tack molding with primer, as seen here.  That's a big help.  Since I now have black paint, I spent some time painting this set, which should be enough for one side, with industrial enamel.

And since the paint was out, I started putting a coat on the roof itself.  This is good paint and should adhere well.  

I also went out to Yard 14 to check on the 321 and pick up some clamps.  All is well.  

Tomorrow night is the first run of the Screamliner, and I'm signed up to be a trainman.  I meant to take some exterior photos of the Screamliner and the Train of Terror, but ran out of time.  If you're 14 or older, be sure to visit IRM this month for thrills and chills, every Friday and Saturday night.  See you there!

No comments: