Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Ten Years and Counting

It seems like only yesterday.  I was sitting at the computer ten years ago working on something, when Frank sent me an email referencing a recent RyPN thread about using the Web to further railroad preservation, and suggesting we could start our own blog.  That hadn't occurred to me before.  I was familiar with political blogs, and from reading them I knew what I liked and didn't like in terms of content and formatting, and had also read several recommendations on various ways of hosting a blog.  Google's Blogger had gotten good reviews for something that's relatively easy to use if you don't demand a format that's unique and splashy, and moreover it was free.  If you're a cheapskate, that's important.  

Next, we needed a name.  "Hicks Locomotive and Car Works" was the obvious choice, but it's too complicated, and we gave up working on steam locomotives a hundred years ago, so I quickly simplified it.  The user instructions were pretty easy to follow, and by the end of the day, we had a working platform.  In a couple of days, the blog appeared to working fine, and we started to publicize it a little.  There's been little change to the format since then, and the rest is history.

We keep going because we like to toot our own horn, because we hope it helps the Museum to some extent, and because we get feedback.  The comments we get from readers, and from visitors we meet out at the Museum, make it all worthwhile.  Of course, this is very much a niche interest.  We appear to have between 200 and 300 regular readers.  It's a lot of fun, and for us it's part of the hobby.  I still don't quite understand why we've been able to do this for ten years with an out-of-pocket cost of exactly zero.  I have no stock in Google, and Blogger certainly has its limitations, but on the whole we've been very satisfied.  And I guess if you're reading this, you must be too.  Thanks!

10 comments:

lee wells said...

Congratulations on your ten year anniversary. I always enjoy catching up on IRM news on your blog, and more importantly, I often learn something. I've seen how to install a canvass roof, and how to disassemble motors and compressors. Plus you have kept a focus on my childhood favorite CA&E. Many kudos to all who contribute to this blog, the picture takers and the writers. It's well appreciated.

Randy said...

Congratulations on a spectacular ten year run on providing a very valuable service to those of us that are unable to get out to the museum on a regular basis. Since I live out of state (North Carolina) your blog is my go to site to keep up on the ongoing projects in the electric shop. With your progress on the magnificent CA&E wood cars to the reconstruction work that Norm and Jeff are doing to the front end of the ME 28, you keep us updated on all the news that is fit to print with a little bit of humor mixed in for good measure. And let's not to forget Tim’s incredible restoration work on the wood “L” cars or Jon’s work on IRM’s flag ship car #65 and all the other activities going on in electric land. Please keep up the good work.

Randy Anderson

Art said...

I think I go back to the beginning as a reader and still look forward to opening the website and finding something new. Add my kudos to all that are sent. Your efforts are appreciated more than you know.

addisonart

Samuel D. Polonetzky, P.E. said...

Mazel Tov on ten years. May you go to a hundred and twenty.

Many the summer Sunday nights I would rush home from the museum to read your blog to find out what it really was that I saw that afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the milestone anniversary. Enjoy your updates on what's happening at IRM. Really appreciate the time and effort that goes into the production of the blog. Bob Miller

Kirk Warner said...

I would second everything that has been said. Now that I cannot be at the museum on a weekly basis, as I have moved away, this blog is the best method I have on keeping up with what is happening at the IRM. I always look forward to the updates which are contained in this wonderful blog. Thank you for the effort of writing the blog.

Unknown said...

I'm another far away guy whom the blog is a lifeline. Reading Randy and Frank's blog is next best to actually being there. Mega thanks! Jim Reising

Hans Altena said...

From the other end of the ocean we love to read your Blog on all the beautifull projects going on at the IRM. So keep on posting. We have our own Blog at Facebook and our website but these are in Dutch. Sorry about that. But the link to the IRM is that we the Pullman archive hold USATC drawings of a 20 tons boxcar, we are restoring right now. Should be ready this year. We hope to have shipped to England by 2019 to participate in an exhibition at th NRM Iin York, 75 years of liberation of Europe. And attend in 2020 as 75 years of liberation of Holland will be celebrated.

Best regards,

Hans Altena
Chairman Stichting 162 / WD33 trust
The Netherlands / Europe

Www.stichting162.nl/blog-2 www.facebook.nl/stichting162

Hans Altena said...

Sorry about the errors and missing words.....hit enter to soon

Randall Hicks said...

Well, thank you, that's quite interesting. And we appreciate all the kind words from here in the US also. I would like to get back to England again, at least, and perhaps we can visit the Continent at that time. I know there's a lot of excellent preservation work being done all over Europe.