Tuesday, April 3, 2018

North Freedom in 1966

I just came across some snapshots taken back in 1966.  I'll be the first to admit they're not very good, but I was a lot younger then, and using my father's old camera.  We took a trip up to North Freedom to ride the steam train, and here are some of the pictures I took that day.  Thinking back to that era, Mid-Continent was well ahead of IRM in beginning steam operations and had a much longer main line, as well as a depot and things like that.  My father and I would usually go there once a year, sometimes with a high-school friend of mine.


Our power that day was  the D&R #9.  


This was the most often used engine at that time, I believe.


Most of these pictures appear to have been taken from the rear of the train.  The depot is just out of view to the right.


On our way south from the depot, we are passing North Shore car 715, which was stored there at the time, and is now in service at Fox River.  Behind it is TM streetcar 978, which is now stored in Milwaukee somewhere.



At the south end of the line, the engine runs around the train.


The "fish car" Badger was on the end.




And on the interchange track, this is CB&Q 4960, which I believe was newly-arrived after being donated to Mid-Continent.  This locomotive, of course, finally wound up at the Grand Canyon Railroad in Williams.

2 comments:

Ted Miles said...

folks,
The Mid-Continent Museum did a professional level restoration of their unique Fish Car at the museum. There is a lot of info and pictures on their web site.

Ted Miles, IRM Member

Randall Hicks said...

That is, of course, true. The coach department at Mid-Continent have done a large number of the highest quality restorations of wooden passenger cars that I know of. Of course, in 1966 this work had barely started and most of the cars were still in the condition with which they were acquired.