Saturday, June 16, 2018

Chicago Day Report

Chicago Day went very well, apart from the usual complaints about the weather.   It's always either too hot or too cold, but beyond that we had a pretty good crowd of visitors and everybody seemed to be having a good time.  Actually this turned out to be a CA&E Day: cars 308 and 319 were running, with Bob Opal, Henry Vincent, and me on the crew, and the 431 and 460 as the steel car train.  We were too busy to take many pictures, and we'll even spare you the usual crew portraits.  The 1630 was also running, but I never got around to photographing it either.  Anyway, for most of these pictures the caption is: Just Like Wheaton!









So we all had a great day.  Be there tomorrow if you can.

But wait, there's more!!!

I was handed a collection of pictures from Paul Schneble, who thought these might be of interest.




The inspection car appears to be an ex-Milwaukee Road Dodge, identical to the one now in our collection.  And for those of you who are interested in Great Western B units, a bonus!


This interior photo has no identification other than CA&E, but by process of elimination I think it can only be the 309.  This must be prior to the rebuilding in 1941.  Nice!


And finally, Paul said he thought this motorman looked vaguely familiar.  I agree; I'm sure I've seen him somewhere before, but I just can't put my finger on it.  Maybe one of our readers can help.

1 comment:

Pete Lerro Jr - Big Daddy said...

Imagine that. Frank Hicks has been a motorman for over 100 years. Frank is very knowledgeable when it comes to all things "traction", but I didn't realize it was based on a CENTURY of experience. Looking good for 130+. Tell us your secret.
See you soon.
Pete