Monday, June 15, 2020

More Car Department Progress

Today was another exciting work day at Union, so we have some pictures to share.  As usual, there were several other projects going on that we missed.  We'll start with CA&E 451.


I continued working on attaching the roof cables and installing roof hardware of various sorts.  Two of the three cables at the #1 end are now connected, as seen here.  I later caulked and attached the castings that pass through holes in the roof.  I also attached the second trolley hook and worked on other parts of the roof.


At the #2 end, I installed the rope guard and the drip rail over the train door, as well as two drip rails over the side doors on the south side.  The lift is essential for jobs like these.



Later, I worked on one of the trolley bases, which had a broken spring.


After some work, it was reassembled, and should be ready for primer, black, and then installation.

Next: Pete Galayda continues work on the interior of the North Shore 160.  The interior woodwork really looks good.


This side of the smoker is finished.


And he continues replacing windows and wood trim parts on the other side, as seen here:



Finally, we have the Fox River 306.  John Sheldon and Fred Zimmerman were working on the floor.  It's going to look as good as new. 



Here we see Gerry doing more welding on the side of the car.  You'll have to take my word for it. 


Here John is taking more measurements for parts of the floor.


And Fred is removing more of the old coating on the floor.


And as I said, there were other projects being pursued.  Tim doesn't want people climbing onto the 1754, so today he was working on the anticlimbers.  And Norm Krentel was working on parts for the Michigan Electric car.  And I'm sure I'm missing something else.  You just gotta be there.

2 comments:

Pete Lerro Jr - Big Daddy said...

Great post! I especially appreciate the detailed pic of the trolley base. FYI- People like myself who don't work with the restoration, don't see all the up-close nuts and bolts details like your volunteers. So it's especially nice to see items like the trolley base and how it's assembled -- and repaired. The throttle stands, truck assemblies, coupler details are the things that I've seen growing up, but never saw the "works". So thank you again!!!!

Randall Hicks said...

Thank you! I'm always worried that there's too much mechanical detail that's hard to understand for anyone who hasn't had the chance to work on these cars, but I hope we're providing some education, and maybe even entertainment. It's nice to have positive feedback.