Sunday, June 21, 2020

Stereo Slides

Just when you think you've seen it all in this business, something new comes along.  A friend of the blog sent me a handful of stereo slides and writes:

These stereo slides were shot by Richard Hartweg.  He died about ten years ago.  His landlady, in Evanston, had me clean out his apartment.  Instead of disposing of the slides, she let me keep them as my pay.  I have at least 1,000 slides which might be of interest to IRM -- let me know what you think.

Here's what the stereo slides look like.  The holders are about 1 1/2" x 4", and the images themselves are slightly less than 1" square.  They are all carefully labeled front and back with details on time, place, subject, exposure, etc.   All of the ones he sent me are from the CTA.


My slide scanner is not designed for this, but here's an example of one image, although maybe this particular example was overexposed.  It's the S-365 from the upper slide in the above picture.


In order for this to be effective, you need a special stereo slide viewer, of course, and I see that these are a collector's item on eBay, for instance.  The format was evidently a Kodak standard.

As to the question of whether we're interested, that is a definite "yes"!  We are always grateful for donations like this, so thanks!!!

Update:  The man who rescued the slides from the dumpster has replied; he gets out towards Union every so often on business, so he'll arrange to drop off the slides sometime soon.  This is great!

No comments: