Saturday, August 6, 2022

Smoke Over the Lake

 For everyone who likes steam in any form, we have this:


On a recent trip up to Door County for a brief vacation, we stopped in Manitowoc as we often do to see if the Badger was loading up.  And it was!  As I walked over from the car to take some pictures, the blowers were running full blast and I planned to take some video just to capture the sound.  But as soon as I got into position, the blowers were turned off.  What can I say?  One of these days I'll try to talk my wife into a trip across the lake.


3 comments:

edjr said...

You better plan that trip soon. I hear there are plans to replace the coal burning boilers in the near future.

Ed Davis

Ted Miles said...

Randy,
The passenger ferry is one of the last steam powered ferries on the Great Lakes. A wonderful survivor! It is too bad that they now carrt automobiles instead of freight cars!

Ted Miles, IRM Member

Randall Hicks said...

Ed: Thanks for the tip. I guess I had heard rumors to that effect, but I'd better hurry up.

Ted: I knew that, of course. Somewhere I have home movies my father took back about 1955 when we travelled on one of the lake steamers, showing (very briefly) a switch engine pushing boxcars onto the ship. It's hard to believe nowadays that they did that so routinely.