Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Hot News

Flash: it was hot yesterday, in the middle of July.  Not too surprising, of course, but that limits to some extent how much gets done.  Maybe the next barn we build will be air-conditioned as well as heated.  You can always dream.

I had a list of small repair projects on the CA&E wood cars that I wanted to work on.  The first was removing the leaking whistle valve on the 308.  In order to remove the valve, you have to remove the whistle, then the piping below it.  However, our brass trombone whistles are epoxied in place so they can't be stolen, so that's a little more challenging.  I need to heat up the whistle with a propane torch to break the epoxy, and that requires a heat shield so I don't burn paint off the car.  It's been many years since I last did this, so I started by making a new heat shield, and this time I'll try to keep track of it.  Anyway, the whistle was removed without difficulty.


And the valve was placed on the workbench for the mechanical wizards to either repair or replace.


And better yet, while I was busy, some nice fellows came along and installed a tent right behind Barn 8 for me to relax in when I'm not working.  Very conveniently located.  I guess it pays to have seniority.


I also worked for a while on adjusting the door closers for the interior doors on the 319.  These things are hard to adjust, and I'm not sure I understand how they work, but I think it's an improvement.  Not much to take a picture of, though.

And I also received the parts I need for the next two little projects: rope for the whistle on the 36, and the hinged flap for one of the traps on the 309.  Thanks to the shop guys for all their help on this!

In other news, the ceiling is complete in the barn extension.  And the contractors were working on the north side of the barn, but I didn't get any pictures of that.


Tim has nailed down all of the canvas on the 1808:


and he spent all day installing the flashing over the clerestory canvas.


Jim is seen here painting one of the trucks on the 306:


John was also working on the 306, and Gregg was working on the 1702.

Finally, work actually started on the Jewell Road station shelter.  First, some "before" pictures to document the condition of the structure before work starts.







And then, I started putting in more nails to help hold the exterior siding in place, and scraping loose paint wherever possible.  I must admit, after all that scraping it doesn't look very different in this picture, but after some spot priming and so on we may start to see a difference.  And in any case I need the exercise.


But the next two weekends will be all Thomas, all the time, so don't miss it!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why the ceiling in the new barn extension?
C Kronenwetter

Randall Hicks said...

Because the extension will be heated, and the ceiling reduces the surface area for heat loss and the amount of insulation required. Just as in a house, attics are generally not heated.

Anonymous said...

That's a great step forward.
C K

Raphael said...

Where will the Jewell Rd Shelter be placed? somewhere along the Streetcar Loop Extension?

Randall Hicks said...

That's a very interesting question, and it hasn't been decided yet. There are several possibilities, and South Junction is one. I really don't have any strong preference myself, I will say.

In the past it has been suggested that it could be placed along the main line halfway between Karsten's and Seemann. And it would be great to have it placed next to a dirt road grade crossing the width of our ROW out there in the middle of nowhere. Very picturesque. But the sad fact is that it would almost certainly be vandalized and probably torched in short order. We just have no way to protect something out there. And of course the fire department would have no way to get to it. So it will probably be on the campus somewhere.

Anonymous said...

With the shelter so light, a temporary placement on the mainline would make an interesting scene for photos. Of course a ca&e flag stop signal would make it a complete picture. Then back to a safe place on campus! O Anderson

Randall Hicks said...

Sure, Olin, no problem. Just fill it with helium.

Anonymous said...

risking swimming with your snarks that don’t hurt, the 6353 could do it with some track carts for a July 3 event. O.

Anonymous said...

6359