Saturday, November 4, 2023

Every Dog Has His Day

On Friday I started by replacing one of the windows in the 18.  As we pointed out a while back, the sash are painted with an unusual mottled pattern that we haven't seen elsewhere.  And we don't know exactly how to reproduce it.  The bottom rail on this window is my beginning attempt at matching the pattern.

 It certainly isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than white primer:

And I have some ideas I want to try, so experiments will continue.  Speaking of the 18, Steven showed up to continue painting seats.  I don't believe I had met him before, and I was glad to thank him for all the pictures he's been sending us.  And he was doing a great job on the seats.



Most of the rest of my time was spent on the Jewell Road shelter.  It was just barely warm enough to consider painting, and first I had to do lots more scraping and sanding.  Among other things, the door knob and plate needed to be cleaned up and repainted.




And using some nearby boxes to provide height, some more of the siding got white primer.





Tim was working all day on the interior of the 1808.  The car is completely closed up and heated, and it's somewhat claustrophobifying if you ask me...


But he's been painting the ceiling, installing new trim pieces, rewiring the lights, etc.




So steady progress continues.


Finally, if you think IRM has been going to the dogs, you have no idea.  Friday there were a number of visitors on the property holding sniffer dog trials.  The dogs have to find scented hides that are scattered around in various places, or something like that, as quickly as possible.  The owners were all nice, friendly people, and none of the dogs tried to bite me, so I can't complain.  But it was rather odd.


I'm told that these trials will continue on Saturday and Sunday, so workers and visitors should try to avoid disturbing the activities.  Marcus is in charge of coordinating the whole operation.

And if you like odd things, we can probably find some more.  Stay tuned!

No comments: