Monday, August 3, 2026

Transport Extravaganza #35

Nothing succeeds like success, and our annual Transport Extravaganza was once again a real crowd pleaser.  Once again, I was too busy to get any good pictures of all the antique automobiles and other vehicles. Sorry!  


The three-car CA&E wood train was in operation again, and on almost every trip we really needed three cars. 


And here's our crew:  Myself as a trainman, Frank as motorman, and conductor Mike Rizzuto.


One highlight of the festivities was operation of the West Towns car:

It was certainly going direct to a zoo.

Say, did I ever tell you about the time a CA&E train wound up on the wrong track at Wheaton??



The Shay was very popular, as always.  It's also a magnet for photographers to stand directly in front of it as it approaches the station, which is naturally very aggravating for the crew.  I wish I had a good solution. 


But otherwise, everything seemed to be running smoothly.  What a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's too bad that the museum doesn't have a Jordan Spreader in its collection; I'd suggest coupling it to the front of the Shay.

Dan Sorce

Patrick Cunningham, CISM, CDPSE, FAI said...

The Big Boy was having the same problem with folks just getting way too close. The Big Boy was good at steam baths for those folks. And there is no need. I have some great pictures of the Shay that I took at the west end of the platform -- you get a nice head on view and you're in a safe place.