As time goes by, many of the histories we've written can get out of date in regards to the current status of preserved items. That's particularly true of the original Hicks Locomotive and Car Works. I would like to update the status of the preserved cars, especially the passenger cars, and if anyone has better information or contacts, please let us know.
CA&E 309 at Illinois Railway Museum -- This car, of course, is stored inside, operated regularly, and carefully maintained. No secret there.
LS&I 63 at National Railroad Museum in Green Bay -- From the website, this car appears to be stored inside and still in fairly good condition, though it could use repainting.
Munising 64 at Mid-Continent -- Stored inside, being thoroughly restored as time permits. I keep in contact with the project manager. Well documented on the museum website.
Virginia & Truckee 20 at Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City -- stored inside and sometimes on display. Pictures wanted.
Yosemite Valley 330 at Niles Canyon -- The car has been used for service occasionally, and interior restoration is ongoing. Kept under cover in an RV type shelter.
As for the baggage cars:
GBW 20 at Marion, Wisc. is in the care of the local historical society. Their newsletter mentions that "The Mail Car received a much-needed repainting and a little repair." so it's being maintained. It also appears to have been lettered "Burlington" but who am I to complain?
GBW 21 at NRM in Green Bay -- on display.
KGBW 76 -- privately owned near Baraboo. The last time I drove by it, it looked about the same as ever.
KGBW 77 at Mid-Continent -- no change.
The Nevada Copper Belt boxcars have been moved to Goldfield, but I don't know exactly where. Any information would be welcome.
4 comments:
I saw GBW 21 back in 2011 and have a picture here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/65681724@N04/52676910935/in/album-72177720305853460
V&T #20 was purchased from SCRM and is now at the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City. It is indoors and was recently on display.
Yosemite Valley 330 was operationally restored, and has been run for specialy events, but the interior restoration has been ongoing. This has included reproduction lighting and seats. While not exactly "indoors," a small RV-type shelter has been erected for it.
Uh, that was me.
Thanks for the updates! I guess I had heard about the transfer of the V&T car, but I forgot. I'll get these additions added to the text.
Post a Comment