Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Big Parade

This year's Trolley Pageant featured 47 pieces of operating electric equipment (which doesn't include several freight cars) and if that isn't a world record I'd like to know what is.

Since I was one of the participants I didn't get to see much of it, so picture submissions will be welcome. The 308. 309, and 319 ran as a train, with a one-man crew.

In the morning, some of the equipment was staged at 50th Avenue. I thought about letting people walk through the cars, but I didn't want them tracking creosote from the platform on the floors.






Two photos by Terrell Colson










In this business you sometimes have to associate with rather shady characters.










We then moved down to the west end prior to the start of the parade at 1:00.

The 309 even got to run a few feet out onto the interchange track, which I don't think it had done since its arrival in 1964.






This is just a small part of the impressive array of operating equipment.




We then proceeded in order past the depot, in my case at high speed, blowing the whistle. Eight hours of work for 15 seconds of glory. Be that as it may, we got many compliments from visitors over the pageant, and how big and well-run it seemed to be. That makes it all worth while.

Photo by Terrell Colson



Then, since revenue service needed to resume, I spent much of the afternoon down at the east end. It was very peaceful. I also have some pictures to add to the scenery album.


And I should hasten to add that several members put in many days of work over the past month to make this all possible, much more than I did. It was a huge undertaking. Thanks to all who helped out!

2 comments:

Joel Ahrendt said...

I hope the biting insects weren't too bad for you and Richie down at the end of the line. Hopefully some of the pictures of what was sitting in Johnson will make their way to the web.

Anonymous said...

The line-up of early IRM roster cars on the west end reminds me of the days when IRM's entire museum was west of Olson Road. Maybe for a weekend a re-enactment of "early IRM" could be made by switching out many of the old collection over there to witness the way things were in the early 1960s.