Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dave's Depots -- Saint Louis Union Station, Part II


One of the "advantages" of working for my law firm is that is you do not like the view outside your office window, just wait, chances are you will move. In the two years I have been working as an attorney, I have had offices on all four sides of the building, and on two different floors. My first office had a nice north view, where I could see the Merchants Bridge (Terminal Railroad Association) the McKinley Bridge (Illinois Terminal) and on a clear day all they way to Chain of Rocks and even Alton. This office was replaced by a south view where I could only see into the judge’s chambers in the Federal courthouse next door (where I once saw a judge sleeping on his couch). My last office had a good view of the Alton and Southern yard in East St. Louis, and a “good” view of East St. Louis.

The man I worked for recently made partner, and was thus given the requisite partner-sized office. This move necessitated my move from the east to the west side of the building.

The good news is that I have a great view from my new office, including a view of Union Station, the tarin shed and the rail yards in the Mill Creek Valley. As you can see from the photo, the Union Station train shed is very large. You could actually fit the new Amtrak station (which is also very nice) inside the train shed without any problem. An added bonus of the new location is that I can also watch trains on the Metrolink Light Rail system pass by, and view some of the new car wraps Metro is experimenting with. Of course, all of this watching out the window may mean a decrease in my productivity....

No comments: