Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Little of Everything

It was a beautiful day out at the Museum and attendance seemed to be good. There was lots of activity in various places.

I started by installing another ventilator on the 277. I realized from pictures that one more is needed on the right side of the car, so I took one out of storage and painted it. It was also apparent that we will need to install the smokestack for the coal stove at the rear end of the car. (Obvious enough when you think about it!) I found the smokestack parts in storage; part was already restored and painted by Bob Bruneau, but the base needs some body and fender work.

Later in the day I inspected the motors and checked lubrication of the armature bearings. Everything seems to be fine. I also spent some time cleaning out tools and supplies from the 277 that I won't be needing soon.

I inspected the two blue cars. I found that one of the arm rests in the 309 had come loose and was sitting on a seat, so I repaired it and reinstalled it. The car is now ready for service.



I knew that the window wiper at the #1 end of the 308 was defective, so I decided to replace it. Fortunately, I have several spares. The installation is a little harder than it looks, but the device now works fine. We don't run the cars in the rain, but it's nice to be able to demonstrate how the "Armstrong" wipers work occasionally.







I also wandered over and took a couple of pictures of the Track Department working on Barn 11. Track 114 is now complete and is being leveled.

No comments: