Monday, March 29, 2010

319 Report

First, let's talk about rumors! I've heard from various directions that yesterday our Car Dept. crew got a three-car steel train running on the car line - 409, 431, and 460! I wasn't there, unfortunately, so I don't know for sure. Maybe Elvis showed up for a ride, too. Anyhow, if anyone can send me photographic proof to post, I'd be most grateful! And I'm also waiting for photos of the Snowflake Special from one of our roving reporters.

Update: Here it is: photo by Adam Robillard!



Sorry, after that juicy tidbit, work on the 319 is going to be sort of dull. I started by addressing an issue I had noticed a while back. The 319 is now sitting on the 321's trucks, and for some reason there are several large gaps between the side bearing plates and the trucks. I'm not sure what the spec should be, but for most cars it appears to be a gap of 1/2" or less. In this "before" picture, it's about 2". I just don't remember checking this on the 321; perhaps they had the body bolster plates shimmed down lower? Anyhow, it's best to raise the rollers on the trucks.

I acquired some spare shims and started installing some at one corner. This took longer than expected, but it finally was finished and looks like this. Much better. On the second bearing I attacked, the bolts wouldn't turn, so larger wrenches are needed. At that point I gave up.

I spent a couple of hours sanding down windows. Nothing to see here, folks, keep moving.

Charlie has been doing more preparation for painting the car, but I didn't run into him today.

Finally, I made a couple of special wood blocks for keeping the doors locked when the car will be stored in a public area. Each trap door has a latch mechanism which provides a convenient stop for small wooden blocks, and this should be more convenient for the operating crews than the 8' folding sticks in the 308 and 309.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three car CA&E Steel train did run. See Warren Lloyd's gallery at: http://www.irm.org/gallery/caesteeltrain Bill Wulfert

Unknown said...

The link sends us to the home page.

Randall Hicks said...

Try this:

http://www.irm.org/gallery/caesteeltrain

Walt Stafa said...

I believe that the total clearance for the side bearings ona passenger car should be 1/4". The way this is measured is to jack the car between the truck sideframe and the body bloster so that all the clearance is on one side to be measured. Adjustment is done with shims under the side bearings.

Anonymous said...

If the 319 is way off the side bearings, does that mean that the 321 is floating on its center bearing?

Randall Hicks said...

As I said, I don't remember noticing this as a problem on the 321. It's possible the side bearing plates on the body bolsters were mounted differently. At this point that's merely of academic interest. I'll be able to shim up the side bearings on the trucks.

Adam Robillard said...

That photo you have posted of the three car CA&E train was taken by me... Adam Robillard