Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Macassar of the Innocents

That was pretty bad, wasn't it? That's why we're making all new antimacassars for IT 277. Here's one of the first production ones turned out by my daughter Esther, and they look great. Once they are finished, I'll get the words "Illinois Terminal" silk-screened along the bottom, as on the originals.

I also brought out a repaired armrest. Restoration of the IT cars has had to take a back seat for a while due to the Trolleyville acquisitions, but they're not being forgotten.

Update: Our old friend Dick Lukin wants me to point out that they're not white, it just looks that way due to the flash picture in the darkness, I guess. The color is actually more of a buff. And he says:

I was the last passenger trainman collecting tickets on the last IT train [yes...train....two cars] from Danville. I just happened to have my uniform in my car and at the last minute, there were so many people wanting to ride the last train that the conductor dug out a half motor and coupled it up to the motor. I went to my car and dressed in my IC uniform and lifted tix on the last train. Lots of fun in those days.

3 comments:

David Wilkins said...

I need to revise my previous statement where I indicated I was "Pro Macassar." I am not, because I am more of a Brylcreem man myself.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Hicks I hope your friends at IRM hold you at the same level of esteem as your friends who read this blog. You are not only a great writer but a master carpenter, painter, upholsterer, metal worker, engineer photographer and historian.

It's a great honor to be able to follow your work through your daily efforts here. I'm going to send a few dollars in your honor. I wish it could be more.

Randall Hicks said...

Thanks! We can assure you that any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.