Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Ehlers Collection - Pt. 1

Our friend Zach Ehlers recently loaned us a collection of snapshots and slides to scan in for him.  This takes a while and requires specialized equipment and expertise, but we're willing to do it if it gives us something to post for you, the viewer!  And we'll stretch this out over a few days just to have more posts during a period when nothing will be happening at IRM.

First of all, about a dozen color snapshots, taken at East Troy, Noblesville, or IRM.  We have little information about the photos other than what you can see, and it would be nice if we could put names to some of the faces.  I've numbered them Z1, Z2, etc. for your convenience if you want to add comments.  I think these were taken about 1975-1980.

Zach informs me that these photos were all taken by Orin Schmidt, who was the shop foreman at the North Shore's Milwaukee shops.

At East Troy:

Z1.  Of course, the 763 is now at IRM. 

Z2.  The 411 is now at Escanaba.

Z3. 757 and 763 at the Elegant Farmer.

Z4.  This is a partial double-exposure.   For you youngsters, that's what happens when your film doesn't get advanced quite far enough inside your camera.  It used to happen to me!
Anyway, the 715 is now at South Elgin.

Z5.  The 757 is now inside Barn 4.

Z6.

The next few are at Noblesville.
Zach says: The people are a mix of Orin Schmidt's family, John Horachek's family, and IMOTAC folk.

Z7.  The 172 appears to be in operation.
John Horachek at far left.
Gregg: That's Craig Presler in the middle.

Z8.
Orin Schmidt at the controls.

Z9.
Gregg: the guy with the beard is John Johnson, the GM of IMOTAC.  The kids are Horachek's.

Z10.
John Horachek.

Finally, at East Union:

Z11.  Wait, don't tell me....   The 207 is on the north display track east of the depot.


Z12.  This is the 251, prior to repainting.
Orin Schmidt standing on the steps.  It's too bad I never met him.

Z13.  This is about 1979, and that's probably me changing poles on the 309.  In front of the car is a conductor, and I'm thinking it's Jim McAlpin.  On track 2 is the 1808? 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the background of Z1 is Milwaukee and Suburban Transport trolley bus 350 - a Pullman that we also acquired from East Troy. I don't believe we tried to get the other gas buses, though they were not in terrible condition.
O Anderson

Matthew Gustafson said...

Ah back when L&NE 207 look fresh out of the paint shop. She looks nothing like that now.

Matt Maloy said...

Well, with enough time, money, and labor, I'm sure we could get the 207 looking that good again.

-Matt Maloy

Randall Hicks said...

Gregg Wolfersheim sent in some identifications, which I've added to the captions. Thanks! And of course he identified the mystery man in Z11. I recognized him immediately, but I was waiting to see who else would agree. Nick called me up about five minutes after it was posted. We old-timers could never forget what's-his-name, uh, uh....

Randall Hicks said...

Bill Wulfert wrote in and also correctly identified Tom Jervan, so there you have it.

Ted Miles said...

I have read that North shore historian John Horachek's North shore #172 had operated at that museum in Indiana, but have never seen a picture of it in action. Hopefully, the #172 will become operational at IRM some day soon!

Ted Miles, IRM Member

Randall Hicks said...

I hope so too, Ted. But you should understand that the IRM definition of "soon" may differ from yours.

sd45elect2000 said...

Tom Jervan told me on my first visit to IRM (summer of 1976 ) that the TMER&L 1100s would be running soon, Bill Nedden agreed.

Randy Stahl

Randall Hicks said...

Thanks, that's great, Randy. I can just picture in my mind Tom Jervan and Bill Nedden saying things like that, back in the good old days. But I think excessive optimism is far better than excessive pessimism. Without crazy optimists like Howard Odinius (and lots of others!) we never would have gotten anywhere.

sd45elect2000 said...

Photo Z5 I think is Dave White and Don Leistikow, Pic Z6 is Fred Vergenz