Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Tuesday Report

Once again we have a Tuesday report, with our intrepid cast of regular volunteers.  I'll try to organize this in numerical order.

28

Rebuilding of the Michigan Electric car is progressing steadily.  Norm and Rich were out again today; here we see Rich running the new window sill sections through the router table.


And when painted, they look like this:


Norm spent pretty much all day needle-chipping the anticlimber.


306

John Sheldon was hard at work all day on structural repairs to the 306.


I'd also like to thank him for removing the bakelite blocks from the castings for the control jumper I'm working on.  I now have it almost all back together; I'll have more about this little project later.



453

On the roof at the #2 end, we see that there's some rotten wood where the horn was mounted.  That needs to be fixed next.  I also made some progress getting the roof cable down into the car.  Now I just need to unsolder the quick connector from the cable.



I must thank Joel for rebuilding parts of the scaffolding and making much better platforms at the ends:


Most of my time was spent working on the ceiling panel in the #1 vestibule.  This has to be removed to get at the wiring in the attic, but almost all of the machine screws are frozen.  Both grinding and drilling are necessary to remove them all.  But it's slow and uncomfortable work.


I did some more tack removal from the tack molding:


And started making a new patch piece for the hole at the #2 end.  I can't hold this piece in place and take a picture at the same time, but it was taken home for trimming and will be bolted in place next time.


Also, I had heard rumors that one of the feed valves on the 309 or 319 was malfunctioning, so I went over to Barn 8 to check it out.  They both appeared to be working properly, but sometime over the winter we'll clean them up anyway.

Finally, several pieces of new wood were planed to thickness.  These are new roof pieces for the 453:


And new window parts for the 18:



1754

Finally, Frank Kehoe was helping Tim with various tasks on the 1754: 



And that's it for today.  But mark your calendars now: Museum Showcase Weekend is coming up soon, Sept. 19th and 20th, and we should have the biggest and best array of operating equipment that pandemic restrictions and the weather will allow.  Frank and I are planning to run the 309 and 319 for a few trips on Saturday afternoon, so don't miss it!

1 comment:

William O'Malley said...

Man, Tim has done an amazing job on 1754. Adding with everyone else who helped on that car. Wondering what's next for Tim. Maybe set him loose on the bowling alley car?