Friday, September 4, 2020

More from Westport

Bill Stewart sends us another picture from Westport, Indiana, original home of the other IRM.   This is one of the best yet!  We see the saddletanker #11, then CA&E 318, which is in the process of being repainted traction orange.  Behind it are three North Shore cars: 250, 154, and 228.  The photo was taken by Sid Pepe in Oct. 1963.


Of these, the locomotive is still with the Indiana Railway Museum, on display at French Lick.  The 318 and 250 were both scrapped by our IRM for parts.  The 154 went to ORM, but has recently been scrapped, and the 228 is the only other survivor, now at East Troy.  Remember, there will be a quiz.  And by now I've seen enough pictures of Westport, it's almost like I know the place, even though I was never there.

3 comments:

sd45elect2000 said...

I remember the 318 from East Troy, I also recall checking out the book "Twilight of steam" by Ron Zeil. there is a photo of the 318 in service in Indiana in his book.

I wish things would have turned out differently for the cars. I fear for the survival of the 710 and the 168....

Matt Maloy said...

I have been trying to get a copy of "Twilight of Steam" for ages. That's a really good book to have. There's a copy of it in the Galesburg [IL] Public Library which, while a little worse for wear, has something interesting jotted down in it. There's a photo in the book of CB&Q 4963 when it was still in service, and underneath the photo somebody wrote in pencil "This Loco at Galesburg Roundhouse Xmas 1965 and is still there as of July. Tell President Menk Chicago to restore this loco (good shape)." I have no idea who donated this particular copy of the book, but I would love to know who owned it, and how Lou Menk responded to this suggestion if it ever made it to him.

-Matt Maloy

Randall Hicks said...

Matt: All I can suggest is to check with our Used Book Store guys; if they don't have it, they might have suggestions on where to look. I bought a copy from Chicagoland Hobby in 1998, for $10, but I'm afraid that's not much help any more.