Friday, June 24, 2022

Washday Chores

Washday finally arrived, and it was time to wash out the canvas for the 460.  I was too busy most of the time to take any pictures of the process, and there wasn't anything very photogenic about it.  Here we see the 62' x 12' canvas laid out on the grass.


After allowing it to dry out, at least so it wasn't dripping wet, I rolled it up, loaded it onto a cart, and brought it around to the west end of the barn.  Tim helped a lot with loading it onto the lift, raising it onto the roof of the 460, and then rolling it out.  It then looks like this:


And I had some time to start stretching it, by attaching some clamps at each end.


This will take some more time, but so far everything is going well.

 

Meanwhile, of course, Tim and John were working on their projects, but I only got one picture of John's work on roof parts for the 306.  These are for the ladders onto the center of the roof, essentially mini lobster traps.


2 comments:

William O'Malley said...

Nice to see new canvas on the 460. I have only had the pleasure of riding that car one time but I must admit how nice of a ride it was. To me it seemed like such a smoother ride compared to other interurbans at the museum. I will be keeping a keen eye for its debut to catch a ride again. It was really enjoyable!

Randall Hicks said...

Yes, it certainly has a different feel than the older cars with standard trucks. Maybe when it's over the pit Joel or somebody can explain to me exactly how the "divided spring plank for ride control" works.