Monday, May 8, 2023

Nearing the Finish Line

Frank writes...


We got a lot accomplished on the 460 on Sunday. It's been a team effort, and the car is now quite close to being ready for revenue service again after a year in the shop.
Most of the progress on the car I didn't photograph; sorry. But phase 1, the first thing I worked on after arriving, was putting another coat of red on the door from the platform into the smoker. This was possible thanks to Nick Espevik, who located some correct-color red left over from the 431 project and thinned it a bit to make it usable. The result is above, and the door is now ready to hang on the car.

Phase 2 was roof work, which I probably should have done a week ago when it was in the 40s, and not Sunday when it was in the 80s! Greg Kepka was instrumental in getting this work done - he helped with getting tools and caulk, instructing me in using the crimper, and helping get stuff on and off the roof. I connected the cable from the roof fuse box to the electrical cabinet, then caulked and screwed down the rooftop fittings on the car like the horn and air piping flanges. The roof still needs another coat of canvas paint, but that's not necessary for it to run.

Phase 3 was finishing interior work, and Matt Kalnins from the diesel shop worked with me here. We finished attaching the last seat in the smoker; removed the tools and other stuff (space heater, tarp, etc.) from the car; and installed the big steel ceiling panel back in the vestibule ceiling. We also located and reinstalled some steel trim strips in the ceiling and reinstalled the buzzer cord.

And finally, after dinner, Matt and Joel shoved the battery tray back into the battery box and reinstalled the battery box cover. Thanks to everyone who helped out with this! Other than hanging that door, the car is ready for inspection and service.

I spent almost all my time working on the 460, but after dinner I took some black paint over to Barn 7 and painted the bumpers at both ends of the 18. The front end bumper was primed last fall, while the back end bumper had been spot primed.
What else was happening? Plenty, as usual! Joel was working on various department projects, including trolley bases for the 1808; Gregg was working on the 1702, cutting new vertical posts that will support the rooftop platform; and Bob was getting ready to run some more tests on the 1565's control system. While I was driving in, I noticed that our C&NW crane, shown above, now has trucks under it for the first time in three or four years. It's been up on blocks behind Barn 9 for some time, so it's great to see the progress being made by Paul on this project.
Nick and Greg spent most of their time working on the 415, and in the evening I stopped by Barn 2 to take a quick look. They're rapidly getting it ready for fresh paint, after which it should be ready to rejoin the operating fleet. Joel says it will look beautiful in blue with a silver roof.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work! But I was never aware of cars such as 415 wearing blue and silver. When might that have been? David Church

Matt Maloy said...

I'm trying to figure out which EMD cab unit that is next to the 415 on the left. I believe that's Milwaukee Road 33C, correct?

-Matt Maloy

Randall Hicks said...

Re 415: I'm afraid Museum humor can sometimes fall flat when it's written down.

Tim Fennell said...

Re 415: It wasn't a full laugh but it did get a chuckle out of me.

Re MILW E-units: That is 33C in Barn 2. The 37A is in Barn 9 between the Zephyr and Toledo-Detroit 16.

Anonymous said...

I did wonder if I was supposed to chuckle. But still had to ask! David Church

sd45elect2000 said...

I wonder if the IT would have eventually painted them blue and silver or if the blue cars would have been painted green eventually?

Randy Stahl