Sunday, March 24, 2024

Saturday Report

Saturday was the first day of the Bunny Trolley Hop this year, and we seemed to have a good crowd of visitors with small children visiting the event.  But I didn't get any pictures of it -- I'll let the people who are actually in charge of publicity do what they do best.

I've been working on making new rattan seat backs for the 36, as seen earlier.  The second one was finished, but after trying to install it I decided it need some minor adjustments to the mounting brackets, so I took it back home.  I also removed the last of the doomed plastic seat backs, and I should be able to start making the third and last of the replacements in my home workshop.  Again, no pictures, but don't touch that dial.

I also put together another window for the 18, painted it with primer, and brought it out.


And it got a first coat of finish cream on the outside.


Next door to the Hicksco corner were these huge planks that were being worked on by the Steam Dept.  They're part of a tender, but I forgot to find out which one.  



Take a good look at this picture - you won't be seeing this machine much longer:


The (in)famous Berlin sander is on its way out of the car shop.  Despite the large promises that were made when it was acquired and installed, in practice the Berlin has seen very little use, and we could certainly use the space in more productive ways.  So it's being prepared for removal into storage.  I must agree that this is the logical choice.  But I'd also have to say that anyone who has gotten to watch it in operation cannot complain of his lot in life.  It was hilarious.



One of the doors from the Pawnee as completed by Buzz.

And of course there were a lot of other things going on, as always.


The Milwaukee Road Museum

I had never actually been inside the MRHS museum in the Multipurpose Building before, but I had a message to pass on from a man I met in Tucson, so I stopped in.  And I must say it's very well done and quite interesting.  So here are a few pictures.  





There are quite a few models of various sorts.  The most unusual is probably this: an all-wood model of the original Hiawatha.  It must have taken an incredible amount of labor to construct.  


I would rather have an actual Class A to preserve.  I guess I'll just have to keep digging.

And this is the library room, which has windows out onto the street.


The MRHS guys are all very friendly and helpful.  Stop in to see them sometime!

Finally, the Model Railroad room was busy with lots of different gauges in operation, including the bizarre Z scale layout which I hadn't seen in operation before, and it had lots of visitors.   We have a lot to be proud of.

No comments: