Thursday, March 14, 2024

Weekday Work

I was out briefly on Wednesday, mostly to collect parts needed for some of the things I'm doing at home.  Here are a few of the active projects:

The new door for the North Shore 213:


Window frames for the Shaker Heights 18:


Maybe I should try to get in touch with the project manager for this car and see if he wants help....

Tim Peters continues working on the 1808, of course.  Here he's installing spring guards - metal strips to keep the safety springs from chewing into the wood at the corners.


And the interior ceiling looks stupendous.  As usual.


Mostly I wanted to pick up some parts and supplies for working at home, on the seats that we've seen before.  I was able to find an arm rest in the 321 that is just what is needed to replace the one in the 319 that was damaged.  It just needs to be repainted.






And while I was at Barn 11, I noticed Coach Dept. people working on the Palm Lane in Yard 10.  This is the recently-acquired Pullman parlor car currently disguised as part of a circus train.


It appears to be relatively complete.  Here are a couple of the compartments.



The parlor car chairs were bought by Roger at an auction, I was told.


And Tim Fennell, among others, was working on various parts of the car.


And as always, there were many other things going on that I didn't catch.  You just have to be there in person.


Update:

I'm learning how to make rattan seat backs by trial and error.  After starting with something that looked like this:


I'm not done, but it now looks like this:


And my wife is learning how to make the black straps that cover the joints in the rattan.  Everybody needs a constructive hobby for their retirement years....

And after another day of work, it's ready for a test installation in the 36, I think:

2 comments:

Stephen Karlson said...

The James E. Strates train transported carnival rides, and the ride staff. They toured the east coast, while Royal American Shows operated in the midwest and the prairie provinces of Canada. Different sort of operation from Ringling Barnum or Hagenbeck-Wallace.

Randall Hicks said...

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I'm not an expert on carnivals. But many of these operations were responsible for preserving Pullman cars that would otherwise have been scrapped. So that's a good thing, even if most of them are a real challenge to restore.