Thursday, January 14, 2010

Dave's Depots -- Murray, Kentucky -- N.C.&St.L.

On January 14, 2010, I found myself returning to my native Kentucky for work. Work took me far from my Nelson County birthplace to Murray, Kentucky. Murray is located in Callaway County, in the far western portion of the state. Those of you who live in Illinois and travel up and down I-57 may notice that Murray State University advertises heavily as Kentucky's "Public Ivy University."


Located just a block from the Courthouse is this depot. Built by the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railway, this structure most recently housed a locksmith. A check of the interior finds that the depot was gutted mostly for this new use. Now abandoned, the depot remains in fair shape, along the tracks of the Kentucky & West Tennessee Railroad, current operators of the line.


This trip also netted visits to the NC&StL freight station in downtown Paducah, the old ICRR shops, also in Paducah, and IC steam locomotive 1518, all which will be covered in future posts.

No comments: