Saturday, January 23, 2010

Team Jewett

I had lots of help today on the 319, which was greatly appreciated. Let's hope we can keep the enthusiasm over our new acquisitions going for a while.

In the morning, Greg Ceurvorst and Chris Buck helped me with removing trolley poles and brake rigging from the aisle, where they had been placed for the move. But it was an accident hazard. I checked the roof and verified that the trolley boards and wiring will be usable. They also helped me get rope guards and two replacement windows from storage. Here they are removing the first two windows for repainting. I also installed the first new seat cushion and started looking at trolley bases, although it's kind of difficult when they're buried by snow.

In the afternoon, I was helped by Greg, Dan Buck, and Dave Fullerton. We started by spending an hour or two helping Frank, Mike, and Tim Peters unload everything from the 1467 (the "skeleton") and put it into storage. There was a lot more there than I had thought. Whew! Tim then also did some temporary patching to try to help hold the body together when it gets moved soon.

Well, I guess you can't expect the same level of craftsmanship we saw on the 1268....



Then the four of us moved and installed all four third-rail beams on the 319. This is hard work, but it went well and I'm glad it's done.

And of course there were many others out today working on other projects. Teamwork makes a big difference!

1 comment:

Scott Greig said...

For those who think the 1467's frame (aka "the skeleton") is rotten junk, I watched Tim Peters driving screws for those braces into the hundred-plus-year-old body posts...and they fought and screamed with every turn into the wood. That stuff is SOLID!