Monday, March 15, 2010

Beware the Ides of March

These pictures are not the best, so you'll have to take my word for it. Other than the lighting, though, working in the Barn 2 shop is a real pleasure.

I started by painting the center part of the roof of the 319, using a pad applicator on a broomstick. This works well and went pretty quickly. I didn't quite get everything done because the pad started to come apart; evidently they're not designed for use on rough canvas. To finish the job I'll need to move the lift over to the north aisle, and I need to check with the others before I do that.

I brought over repainted window shade tracks, and put a second finish coat on four windows. But they look just like the others.


Here are some of the repainted windows installed; on the outside, there's just a coat of white primer. Charlie will paint these when he does the whole car.

And I got some parts out of storage. For one thing, all the wreck tools are missing, but luckily we had some spares on hand. And some grab irons for the roof, which were also missing. There's always lots of little things to take care of.



The Car Dept. guys have been doing a heroic job of switching. Over the past two days, Stan, Joe, Rod, Warren, and maybe others moved a lot more cars. The skeleton of the 1467 and the 966 were moved on their own wheels into barn 10, as seen here. I would have said it couldn't be done. All of the cars but one have been removed from the barn leads to 6, 7, and 8 so Max can work on raising the wire over those yards. This will be a big improvement once it's done. We've been struggling with the wire there for years.


Also, I've just added more pictures to the Glenn Andersen collection, so check it out.

Update: We received word that Cliff Perry has died. He was the manager at Trolleyville for several years. Our condolences to his family and friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lighting in the Diesel Shop is just fine if you actually turn them on...

Randall Hicks said...

Well, of course I turn them on, and they're very effective for working. Sorry, I shouldn't make it sound like I'm complaining. As in all the barns, picture taking suffers, but that's a minor problem compared to actually getting things done.