Monday, July 20, 2009

Cleaning Up the 277

I had never been satisfied with the work setup in the 277. Several boards were laid across the tops of the seats on the left side, as seen here, and used to store paints, screws, etc., and to provide a work surface. This just isn't good for the upholstery. I decided the thing to do was to clear out the baggage compartment so I could set up a bench there. To do that, I had to remove all the seats.

This turned out not to be too hard; I moved some spare parts around in the 253 and opened up plenty of space to store the 277's seats temporarily. That took a while, but I ate too much over the weekend and needed the exercise.

Here is what the front compartment looks like when it's empty. Along the front wall (R), there's a bench that folds down for extra seating, or folds up for more baggage space.

The seat cushions are still stacked on a couple of the seats, but they're easy to move and don't damage anything.

After straightening up, I finished putting a first finish coat on the new wall sections in the main compartment (L). And I installed the restored bell cord hangers.

No comments: