Saturday, June 25, 2011

Routine Maintenance

Today was mostly some cleaning and straightening, nothing too exciting. So not too many pictures. I spent a couple of hours in my storage container, and picked out most of the rest of the good window shades. I believe it's much better to store spare CA&E window shades hanging vertically, rather than rolled up on a shelf.

A control pipe hose on the 309 was badly worn, so I replaced it with one from storage. I then put the three-car train together in preparation for July 3rd and 4th. July 3rd, of course, will be the re-enactment of the abandonment, and the 4th will be the parade. Don't miss it!


And then there was more stripping paint on the 36. Progress is slow but steady.


Work on the street project is continuing. Here Max has finished inspecting one of the new manholes for the electrical system. Some day we'll have working antique stoplights at this intersection!



And this is the 1024 (née 24), our oldest rapid transit car, built in 1898. Keep this car in mind, I may have occasion to refer to it later.

6 comments:

Scott Greig said...

"Keep this car in mind, I may have occasion to refer to it later."

Regarding DB15s?

Anonymous said...

Is the new manhole going to get a vintage manhole cover? It would be a cool detail to have added.

Randall Hicks said...

Yes, we have vintage manhole covers. Dave told me what they were, something like Chicago City Railways, but I don't remember exactly. They should be put in tomorrow!

And Scott just knows too much for my own good.

Anonymous said...

Randall,
Have you decided what color to paint the #36 when you get the old paint stripped off the car?

a green and gold letters C A&E car would get my vote.

Thanks for the good work!

Ted Miles

Bruce Duensing said...

A second vote for green and gold.

Scott Greig said...

The one I saw yesterday was a CCRy manhole cover. They can still be found in Chicago's streets if one looks closely.

About the 1024...take a close look at the contactor box sometime. On one side is written a name and date from an old CTA employee at Wilson Shop who inspected the car shortly before it came to IRM.