Friday, September 28, 2012

Chicago to Galesburg

Chuck Amstein sent us some photos of his trip from Chicago to Galesburg and back.... in 1962!  He writes:

I took #35, the Kansas City Zephyr, outbound and #12 (guess who) back.  There's a 50% chance I rode in the same car (Juno) 50 years apart (didn't record the car name then).  Unfortunately, no photos of the NZ because it was getting dark when it arrived.  I had a simple box camera with size 127 Ektachrome film.


#35 used the former Silver Streak diner-parlor-obs.


I walked over to the yard and the man in the roundhouse office gave me permission to walk around the yard, plus an employees timetable!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 #5620 on the scrap line.






 Freshly painted #5631 waiting to go to Sheridan, Wyoming.







CB&Q office car parked near the depot









 
#3006 had been on display for less than a year.  The gate had a lock on it with a sign "Get key from station agent", which I did...
 
 
Sorry about the dark pictures -- ASA 10 film, box camera, on a gloomy day, 17 year old kid on an allowance.
 
 
 
  As you can probably tell from the photos, I made the trip mainly to see the newly installed 3006.
 
 
 




 Used my one remaining flash bulb for the cab:









My return parlor seat ticket stub from the Nebraska Zephyr.

1 comment:

David Wilkins said...

The diner, parlor obs car Chuck encountered in 1962 was encountered by Randall in 2012!

http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2012/08/national-railroad-museum.html