Thursday, September 20, 2012

Stilll Grinding Away

 The air is crackling with excitement as the not-to-be-missed Zephyr Excursion draws nigh.  Or something like that.  I believe that ticket sales will have to be stopped later tonight (Thursday night) so if you haven't bought tickets yet you had better do so immediately, or the rest of your life you will be kicking yourself, and remorse will bring you in sorrow to an early grave.  Do I make myself clear?

Until then, however, I've got nothing better to do than to keep grinding away on the 36.  It took most of the day, since I can't keep this up for too long, but I managed to grind all remaining paint from the metal plate over the #2 end of the car.  It was then painted with a first coat of primer to keep it from starting to rust.  The tack molding was cleaned off and painted also.  And I did some more paint stripping on the wood, which seems to use a different set of muscles.

As long as we're up here on this scaffold, turn around.  You can barely make out on the end of LSE 150 the outlines of "1906 TROLLEY" which was its name as a flower shop, I guess.  At some point we'll have to sand that down and repaint it.



I also spent some time pouring epoxy into the rotted-out portion of the end window we had looked at earlier.  It will take one or two more pours to fill it up.  I may decide to just make a new window eventually, but trying to epoxy it instead takes little time and effort.


And Bob Kutella's woodworkers' convention will be this weekend, if old woodworking machines interest you more than the Nebraska Zephyr.  Here Bob and some of his friends are hopefully starting to tear down a large table saw, and they say they should have it running by the end of the weekend.  Half of the table slides back and forth, so the work can be clamped to the moving half and run through the blade.  Neat!  I've got to start making third rail beams for the 36 one of these months, so I can only depend on Bob to provide everything I need.  Thanks, Bob!

No comments: