Saturday, October 27, 2012

Clear the Track

Track 82 is currently a solid line of seven 6000-series L cars, and they all needed to be rearranged in a switch move today.  That gave me an opportunity to take a picture with the entire track empty.  Here we see the varied collection of cars on 83: L cars, interurbans, work equipment, and a streetcar.  In contrast, 84 is a solid line of six wooden interurban cars, three of them built in 1906.  And this is just a small sample of IRM's vast and varied collection.

While the 6000's were being switched, it was a little like working in a subway tunnel, but no matter.  I stripped, sanded, and repainted another three sectors of the lower siding.  The chalk marks indicate various holes I needed to fill with body filler.  In the center of the car is a circular pattern, showing the screw holes for one of Gerry's old covered wagon emblems.  I wonder where those wound up?


Here's the first coat of primer on sectors 22-24.  Let's see here, that gets me up to five sevenths of one third, right?  Slightly less than one fourth.  I then did some more stripping on the window sills and posts.  I basically never left Barn 8, but we had several visitors wandering through, several of whom I talked to about various things.  Max was working on the wire outside the barn, which is very good. 

I'm sure lots of other projects were being advanced, but you'll have to look elsewhere for news.  Don't forget to check the department blog regularly, it has all the news we somehow missed.

2 comments:

David Wilkins said...

Was canvas stretched on the 4000?

Anonymous said...

No canvas just yet. The roof needed a bit more epoxy and then a coat of paint. Bill Wulfert