Friday, March 1, 2013

319 Vestibule

 The first stage of repainting the main compartment of the 319 is essentially done for now.  When it warms up, I'll want to be able to pull the car outside for better lighting.  In the meantime, there's still a lot that can be done in the #2 vestibule.
 
New red paint was applied to several parts of the motorman's cab, as seen here. Red never covers very well, so it will need at least one more coat, but it looks a lot better than it did.

 And then I did some more stripping.  I believe the vertical piece (white arrow) was probably part of the cab door frame and went all the way to the floor.  The wood to the left of it would have been a short partition, perhaps with a narrow window.  When the cab doors were removed, these pieces were just sawed off flush, and a bottom rail added.






Later I did more white primer, including the metal pieces stripped last time.

Henry has continued to make good progress on the 36 train door.  The bottom pieces are now assembled and glued, and it looks great! He also did a nice job of cleaning up the metal kick plate, and was waiting for specs on where the holes go.  So I measured, then drilled and countersank (countersinked?) the holes for the screws.

I'm also working on preparing another side door on the 36 for repainting.  This one I may choose to do in place.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Countersunk.
O. in NV

Anonymous said...

Another vote for "countersunk"

Artschwartz

Anonymous said...

Present
I countersink

Past
I countersank

Future
I will countersink

Perfect
I have countersunk

Pluperfect
I had countersunk

Future perfect
I will have countersunk

-- Anon

David Wilkins said...

The Hicks Car Works BlogManual of Style generally disfavors the Perfect, Pluperfect and Future Perfect forms. We like to take the writing out of the passive voice and into the active voice.

Randall Hicks said...

This entire controversy could be avoided by using round head screws.