Saturday, November 30, 2013

Mon Train Bleu

Perhaps it is not quite as suave and du haute monde as the French Le Train Bleu, but it's the best we've got.  The cars needed to be switched out today, and we don't let good photo opportunities pass us by.  

I needed to turn the 319 around to start working on the other side of the roof, and in order to do that the blue cars were pulled out onto the connector.  You get a slightly better view of the car in its partially unroofed state.  The 319 was turned around using the east half of the car line and the connector track.  It wasn't until I had pulled the 319 up to the door of the barn that it struck me that the whistles had been removed because they were in the way of any work on the ends of the roof  So I just shouted "Toot toot!" and proceeded. 

While waiting for the L cars to return, I was able to install the next seat frame in the 309.  Some more work will be needed, but this project is going well.  Jerry and Ray ran the 6000's out on the line to check that everything will work well for the Happy Holidays Railway, and when they came back the cars were cleaned and decorated.  They look great!

After the 319 was back in the barn, I started removing the old canvas, tack molding, and so on from the other side.  Then it was time for some heavy lifting.

Joe Stupar, Joel Ahrendt, and I spent a couple of hours starting to unload parts we got from Trolleyville about four years ago.  For a lot of these things we just don't have available storage space yet, but there are always some items we need now, and of course they were at the front of the trailer.  We worked slowly and carefully, and were able to unload several seat cushions and backs, some miscellaneous parts, and four CA&E third rail beams, or parts thereof, which I'll need for the 36.  I can't thank them enough for the help.  They were then deposited behind Barn 4.  Once the metal parts are on hand, we can confidently start drilling the holes in the new third rail beams we've made to attach them.  

And fortunately my old friends Dan and Chris Buck were on hand, so they volunteered to help with this a little.  They wire-wheeled all the rust and other crud off of one of the shoe assemblies, so it looks much better.  I'm hoping the entire set can be processed over the winter so the beams can be mounted in time for the operating season.

And of course Tim Peters never stops.  Here is the current status of the roof-mounted destination box he's assembling for the 24, based almost entirely on pictures.  These bizarre devices were removed about 1914 and none survive, so recreating them is a real challenge.  But Tim is not easily discouraged.  

For that matter, most of the rest of us are not easily discouraged either, although everyone has a different threshold of pain, I suppose. If you don't want to spend the next four months of your free time watching TV, you can come out to IRM and volunteer.  There are many projects that need help, and our heated shop areas can accommodate lots of people.  On Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays at least, you won't be lonely!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those trolley beams were among the first things we loaded in that trailer...the start of a LONG weekend working like pack animals in that lakefront warehouse. I still remember how heavy they were!