Thursday, November 3, 2016

Party Like It's 1908

The 309 entered service early in 1908, the last time the Cubs had won the World Series until yesterday, so it's time to celebrate again!


The 24 is ten years older, and it's in on the party also.


Tim is mostly working on fabricating the correct style of third rail beams for this car as of 1913, the target date for the restoration.


And later in the day, he got Gregg W. to help him with this project.



I see that the interurban freight team of Gerry Dettloff and John Faulhaber have started rebuilding one of the doors for the North Shore MD car 213.   The restoration of the 810 is nearly complete, and the MD car looks like it may be their next project.






 The 3007 makes a rare appearance outside, due to the switch move for the Santa Fe sign festivities.  And the lighting was just about perfect.






Work continues on the new street scene area.   Here is Dave Diamond surveying for the paving process.   A lot of gravel was being dumped, leveled, and compacted today.  He hopes to start paving next Monday.



It's neat that we have our own road grading equipment.


And they were still working on this when I left.



 Finally, I spent all day working on the vestibule of the 36.  Paint stripping and sanding and other surface prep took up most of the morning and early afternoon.




Then I started with a first coat of blue on sections previously primed.   As before, you may notice that the coverage is somewhat uneven, and at least a second coat will be needed.  This continued until I ran out of blue paint.







So I switched to black and started painting the underbody equipment, such as the pilot and steps and truss rod on the 36.   I would have like to start putting primer on the recently stripped parts inside the vestibule, but I ran out of time.





So first I ran out of paint, then I ran out of time.   I would like to tell you what else was happening, but I seem to be running out of electrons.   That's strange, I'm sure I had another jar of them around here somewh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That grader looks like it's a collectible itself! I'm interested to see how the trolley wires and bus wires will share the same overhead real estate. Just trying to visualize it makes my head spin...

-Taylor

Tony Gura said...

In San Francisco the F-Line historic streetcar shares the same overhead wire as the trolley coaches for the entire distance on Market Street from the Ferry Building to the outer terminal at Castro Street. The only issue is that the negative wire needs to be insulated when it crosses the positive wire.

However, the light rail vehicles are not allowed to use the same wire since their pantographs could potentially contact the negative wire causing a short circuit.

Tony Gura