Monday, October 25, 2021

Rainy Sunday

Frank writes...


While the weather on Saturday was spectacular, on Sunday it rained incessantly. I don't think I saw more than a dozen cars in the parking lot at any one time, and honestly I'm surprised there were that many. But there was still a crew working in the car shop, of course.
First off, a huge THANK YOU to new volunteer Nathan, who put a coat of finish paint on the final ceiling panel for the 18. This is a big help. Next time I'm out, hopefully I can cut the circular hole for the ceiling ventilator into this panel and then hoist it into place. Then the lap strips get screwed in place, the ventilator registers get installed, and the ceiling should be complete again.
I spent much of my time working on more surface prep on the exterior of the 18. Most of the rusty areas that were needle-chipped last weekend got wire-wheeled and, where necessary, hammered flat. Then an initial coat of "structural Bondo" was applied to several areas of the car. Here's that spot on the rear bumper that was pictured last week. More Bondo will be necessary before it's ready for sanding, priming, and painting.
The usual crew was out, with Greg and Zach mostly working on making sawdust as part of the 757 side door project while Nick and Joel were working on the 415, I believe. But the whole group, the four aforementioned guys plus Nathan and myself, got together and got the spindle sander hoisted up onto the "roof booth" scaffold platform. This will greatly facilitate the task of sanding and shaping the 714 "lobster trap" components.

1 comment:

Randall Hicks said...

My thanks to the guys who moved the spindle sander onto the platform for me!