Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Maritime Monday

We may be far from the ocean, but I spent all day Monday on lobster traps.  And I almost needed a boat to get home, due to torrential rains.   But enough of that.

I purchased a good supply of 8/4 ash, nice and clear, and started making the saddles for the 714.  A couple of progress photos shown here:



The only screws I could find of the right size and type were either too long or too short, but that's easily fixed.



By the end of the day two saddles at one end are complete, with one more started.  They could still use some adjustments with either the belt sander or the spindle.


Meanwhile, Fred and Gerry were working on the interior of the 306.


Fred is removing old paint from the lower sidewalls.


Gerry has removed the old quarter-round moldings, which will need to be replaced.


This is the governor.


And then I was asked to identify this valve, located under a seat, but I'm not as familiar with SME brakes as I ought to be, evidently.  


Update:  Fred Lonnes identified this as the K-1 emergency control valve, which is what I suspected, and also sent us a pdf of the manual for the whole system.  Our readers are the best -- thanks!!!


And as I was wandering around, I noticed this warning on top of the 65.  It's painted on the inside of the fuse box lid, and I would have thought that if you're trying to change the fuse on an electric car you already know that  600 volts is dangerous.



Also, I found some time to spray the next two 453 baggage racks with a finish coat.


John continued to work on the moldings for the 306, but I didn't get any pictures.   And Tim showed up to work on the 2872 after his long and arduous bicycle ride, not too much the worse for wear.

So that's the news for today.   And please notice that details for the memorial service for Bob Kutella has been added to the post below.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m almost certain that these parts you are making for 714 will not fit the Pullman, Standard, Brill or Jewett cars, but I think they would fit the 172.

Randy Stahl

Randall Hicks said...

I sort of doubt that. I just determined today that the parts I've made for the #2 end of the 714 won't fit the #1 end. More on that soon.

Anonymous said...

That's not surprising. The roof mats were never a one-size-fits-all sort of thing. They were hand built and shaped to the individual ends of each car.

-Zach