Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Wednesday Report

 Bill Wulfert sends us more exciting news:

I was working on the GG-1 today. (no pictures). However your roving reporter “roved” over to the Model Railroad Display, and found that the HO display made its First Run today! The display is of different cities and different seasons of the year. Good timing on my part!





CTA Marmon-Herrington 9631 is going on the road for some body work and a paint job. It will be repainted in the Green & White scheme.







Our thanks to Bill for providing us with these updates.  And before you ask, I'm pretty sure he has no ambitions to get the GG1 to run under its own power.  We've been through this before!

7 comments:

Putergk said...

I know it will never run, I am just curious what is being done. I would love to get in the cab to take photographs. There is really not much documentation on the interior of a GG1 online.

Randall Hicks said...

OK, I'm sure Bill can get us some pictures of what he's doing. I can tell you that the cabs on a GG1 are small and cramped, which seems strange for such a large locomotive.

Bill Wulfert said...

Right now, I'm just doing some cosmetic cleanup on the GG-1. And yes, I can take some interior pictures. As Randy mentioned, the cab and engineer's area is very cramped. The fireman and engineer can't really see each other, due to the framework of the interior, and the access door to the nose area.

Anonymous said...

All I remember of that engine was a pile of stuff in the end compartments that I hoped was only racoon poo.

Raphael said...

So, is there 2 model railroads? because I know there is one that was inherited back 10 or so years ago, or is this the one? either way, I hope you have a curtain to hide all those cables under the table.

Randall Hicks said...

We will be glad to get updates from the members who are actually doing the work, since I'm sure there will be changes in plan as time goes by. But there are, or will be, several different layouts in different scales. And I doubt the controls will still be on the floor when they're ready for show time!

Matt Maloy said...

Now if you wanted a fun display project: see if you can get some gifted modelers together to either acquire or make accurate HO scale models of every locomotive that's currently at the museum, and then have them displayed and/or running on the layouts from time to time.

-Matt Maloy