Thursday, May 26, 2022

Relics of the Chicago and West Towns

Recently the city of Berwyn has been tearing up the streets for a repaving project, and in the process some of the last remaining vestiges of the C&WT have been dug up.  They don't appear to be salvageable, but they may be of interest to some of our readers.  The photographer prefers to remain anonymous.


All of this was taken up from Stanley Avenue from about Harlem to Wisconsin.  The rails are thought to be from a switch directly in front of Connie's Restaurant.  The rest of the rails were taken up soon after the C&WT was abandoned.  Or so I'm told.





Sic transit gloria, as they say.  Now if you actually want to see more, there are almost 200 photos available.  Just send me an email and I can direct you to a link to download them from the cloud.  You may be reluctant to download things from the cloud, but I tried it and didn't get wet.  Your results may vary.

1 comment:

Art said...

When I was born (80-plus years ago) we lived in the apartment building you can see behind to the right of the large evergreen tree in Photo No. 2. From the living room window I could watch the three sets of CB&Q railroad and the Harlem Ave. Station, plus the sets of two tracks for the C&WT Streetcars. It led to my fascination with trains. My dad had a "victory garden" in the prairie that occupied the space where Connie's is now.