Monday, May 30, 2022

Sunday Mini-Pictorial

Sunday was a very busy day at the Museum, and I was too busy to get many pictures.  We were running CA&E 36 in shuttle service from 50th Ave. to Jefferson all day, and this seemed to work out quite well.



But at least we were able to get the obligatory crew picture.  There's me, and Frank, who was running the 144 all day, and my conductor, a (relatively) new member, Riley McBride-Schmars.  A good time was had by all.


Meanwhile, there were four, count 'em, four mainline trains.  In no particular order:
  1. The Pullman heavyweight train, featuring five restored Pullmans, pulled by the F units BN-1 and CNW 411
  2. The coach train, pulled by the 1630
  3. Caboose train, pulled by IT 1605
  4. North Shore cars 714 and 749.
Our old buddy Larry Stone was the dispatcher and did an excellent job, of course, keeping all this going smoothly.  And of course there were a lot of other people whose help was essential.  You won't find a museum operation like this anywhere else!

Pullman car Villa Real was in service for the first time, and I promised Roger I'd take some pictures of the interior, so here they are.  It's beautiful.








For pictures of all the rest, I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere.  But of course, there's no real substitute for being there in person.

Frank adds...

As mentioned, I was running the 144 on Sunday, with new-ish volunteer Jack E. working as car host. It was really nice to have this car out; it's been a long time since I've run it in service.

After operations were over, and after the group returned from dinner, I changed into work clothes and attacked the smoker of the 460 again with the wire wheel. Here's the bulkhead when I started:
...and here it is an hour later:
This definitely goes more slowly than the panels over the side windows, which I'm not even sure have primer underneath the paint. The worst-looking part of the bulkheads is the bottom half, which is mostly hidden behind the seats. So at the very least, I may leave these areas until last. Plus I need to take that first aid kit box off the wall so I can wire-wheel around that. But good progress is being made.

No comments: