Saturday, May 14, 2022

Back from Arizona

I have just returned from vacation in Arizona to meet my latest grandson and play with the older two, so we had a great time.  Here's the newest member of the Steam Team -- at least that's his ambition.

Examples of railway preservation in Arizona are few and really far between.  We wound up one night in Willcox, where there's an old Santa Fe heavyweight on a short piece of panel track used as a barbeque joint.  The interior has been gutted and nobody seemed to know anything about the car's history.



And next door is the body of an ancient wooden combine on display, along with a modern freight car truck and a signal.  One can only guess at what the plans for all this might be.



But even while I was in Arizona, progress wasn't at a complete standstill.  The new piece of tack molding was put to soak in the bathtub, and when I got back, I was able to bend it.  Of course, bending 8/4 wood doesn't go far, and the Museum has a much bigger and better selection of clamps than I do, but this seemed to work.  Now the question is how long it will take for the work to dry out.



And all I have to do is turn my back, and cowboys start twanging their guitars.  Who woulda thought?

4 comments:

Ted Miles said...

Folks,
I can provide a bit of news from Arizona. The State of Arizona is funding a State Railroad Museum at williams. They have moved seveeral locomotives and cars to a site there; neat to but not part of the Grand Canyon Railroad. Several car have been painted to represent Arizona railroads, both narrow gauge and standard gauge.

I think they have a presence on facebook, but I could not find a web site.

Welcome home Grandad!

Ted Miles, IRM Member

Randall Hicks said...

Thanks, Ted. On one of these trips we'll have to head for the canyon again and see what's there in Williams. It would also be nice to get a tour of the GCR shops but I guess that's not generally available.

Jeron G said...

Randy, let me know when you would want to take a tour of the GCR shops. "I know a guy or three."

Randall Hicks said...

Hey, that sounds great, Jeron. Thanks! We don't have any definite plans yet.